Friday, March 4, 2016

Mixed Media with Tassel

Several friends and acquaintances enjoy creating mixed media cards and items. I've had a mild interest in it for a while so decided to try something when I saw the Design Team samples at Lessology Challenge #55. Besides the primary requirement, which was to include a tassel, entries also needed to include one upcycled item in their creation.


Using a small stretched canvas, here is my first attempt at this clever art form. It's not as easy as it looks. Once finished, I saw things I should have done differently with better planning so it's a lesson well learned.


The canvas was covered with a thin coat of gesso to seal the canvas. A few pieces of torn paper in a peacock feather design were added and adhered with gesso. As I started to layer, the peacock feathers were covered. Several colors of acrylic paint were added, a little bit of chunky glitter, a painted wood bird, a treble clef and an eighth note were stenciled, the corrugated "M" adhered and painted or sponged or daubed with colors. The old drawer pull, my upcycled item, was adhered with a glue gun and the tassel draped over it. Lastly, some gold paste wax was added here and there for a bit of shine.

Mixed Media is not a requirement to participate at the LESSology Challenge!

I usually add detail about materials when I post card photographs. I did not do that here because everything used is a common craft supply. If you wish to ask anything specific, let me know in the comments below or via my email address by clicking on the "Contact Me" tab at the top. Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

  1. Oh very cool Melanie. Mixed Media scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this turned out beautifully Melanie! I love the colors that you used and the tassel is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great first attempt on mixed media...I wouldn't know what you messed up on or would need to fix...the tassel hanging over the knob is excellent. We have to get together and do a mixed medial, I need someone to hold my hand through this...lol...no really. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, this is so beautiful! I love it... love the colors... love all of your elements! So happy you played along this month! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good for a first attempt at mixed media! Love the mix of elements here...especially the drawer pull!

    Thanks for joining us at LESSology!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reckon you've done an amazing job for your first MM 'go' - LOOOOVe the knob addy and that little bird is totally 'tweet'. Bet you do more.... I find it slightly addictive & full of fun and discovery. The tassle works brilliantly for our LESSology challenge...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Super cool colors! This is rock star! Thanks for playing along with us at LESSology! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete